Summer is over but that doesn’t mean the fun has to end. Autumn has so much to offer from hayrides, corn mazes to apple and pumpkin picking and even making your own Halloween costume. Enjoy the vibrant colors of fall with red, gold and orange leaves, the sweet scents like pumpkin spice, the wonderful produce like crisp red apples that you can turn into warm apple cider or apple pie. Autumn offers so much, it’s almost hard to miss summer. Here are 15 free and frugal fall ideas for you and your kids to enjoy.
1. Decorate a pumpkin and even have a pumpkin decorating contest between family members.
2. Get lost in a corn maze. Your kids will enjoy the journey.
3. Rake leaves into piles and let your kids jump into them. These make some great photos.
4. Do some fall-inspired baking and add cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin spices to baked goods or even baked apples.
5. Enjoy a hay ride. Check with local farms to see if any of them offer weekend hay rides.
6. Pick your own apples. Visit a local orchard to pick some apple and go home and make apple cider or caramel apples.
7. Ride bikes. Take your family to a trail.
8. Take a nature walk and surround yourself with gorgeous autumn colors of red, orange and gold.
9. Visit a fall festival where there is so much affordable family entertainment.
10. Attend a high school or college level football game. Just as much fun at an affordable price.
11. Go for a long drive. Discover to the country to see the fall landscape.
12. Have a camp-out. You can use camping grounds or just camp out in your own backyard. Roast some hot dogs and s’mores and tell some campfire stories.
13. Have a fall scavenger hunt. Items you can have your kids look for are different colored leaves, acorns, pine cones, flowers, apples, pumpkins, different kinds of birds, etc.
14. Make a scarecrow. Take some old pieces of clothing and stuff them with newspaper or leaves from your yard. Stuff it until you have a body shape and place it in your front yard.
15. Make your own Halloween costumes: Starting early can lead to some fun and creative Halloween outfits.