These healthy Italian stuffed zucchini boats can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 40 min.
Total Time: 50 min.
• 4 medium-sized zucchini
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced
• 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• 2 teaspoons chopped basil
Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and trim some skin off the bottom so it will sit still in a baking dish. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. In a small bowl, combine garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper and brush the surface of the zucchini halves. Place grape tomatoes in the center of the zucchini, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake in a 350ºF oven for about 30 minutes. Remove the zucchini from the oven and place the mozzarella in between the tomatoes, and place the zucchini under the broiler until the mozzarella is golden and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle remaining olive oil. Sprinkle basil and Parmesan cheese on top.